This is a very nutritious and great tasting soup that is one of our favorites. I use all organic ingredients. There are some ingredient alternatives that I have listed at bottom of recipe, also!
Makes 8 servings
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 cup diced onion
3 cloves chopped garlic
8 ozs. Tinkyada Rice small pasta (macaroni or shells, about 2 cups uncooked)
1 bunch fresh kale, tough stems discarded, cut into 1-inch pieces and washed
2 medium or 1 large unpeeled potato cut into small cubes
3 carrots thinly sliced
2 teaspoons Real Salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in 9 cups water (can use partial chicken broth for more flavor). Bring to a simmer over high heat. Add pasta (if using wheat pasta add about 10 minutes before soup is done), kale, potato, and carrots. Cook stirring occasionally for 14 minutes, reducing heat to medium when boiling.
- Cook gently until all vegetables are tender. Serve!
- 1 regular sized can diced tomatoes. Use 1 cup less water in soup.
- 1 can small white beans. Deduct another cup of water in soup and just use 1 medium potato.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese.